Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Lucky Us by Amy Bloom

In the jacket blurb Colum McCann describes this as a poignant book and that’s a pretty good description. This is the story of and young woman and her family during the post WWII period. The characters are quirky in the extreme, people not quite down and out but almost. I didn’t really believe in them in the same way that I would believe in say Anne Enright’s characters – by that I mean I don’t know any people like these characters and their behaviours are a little larger than life - but because of this I was able to distance myself from them and enjoy them probably more than characters with whom I was more emotionally involved. The book is both funny and sad, and absolutely beautifully written. It’s another recommended read from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment