Wednesday, February 19, 2020

A Single Thread by Tracy Chevalier

If I’m going to read light historical fiction while I’m travelling, I always go to Tracy Chevalier. This one didn’t disappoint. It’s about a young woman in the years post WWI in England who is trying to become independent against the backdrop of Victorian and Edwardian era sentiments. She takes up embroidering and makes new friends etc etc etc. She becomes especially friendly with some bellringers. And that’s all really. But I quite like the research Chevalier does and her investigation of these two quite obscure activities is interesting, especially since one of the characters actually existed. But as I said, a light read and, as always with Chevalier books, imbued with quite a bit of sentimental nonsense.

No comments:

Post a Comment