Thursday, March 19, 2020

I Feel Bad About My Neck by Nora Ephron

This collection of essays is delightful. Ephron moves from musings about the aging neck – and yes, all of us aging people have it and I reckon most of us hate it – to the troubles of raising teenagers to her divorces and her sadness about the death of her friend and the inevitability of it all. It’s peppered with small witticisms, especially in an essay called Things I Wish I’d Known that’s full of wisdom such as ‘You never know’ and ‘If the shoe doesn’t fit at the shoe store, it’s never going to fit.’ My favourite though is ‘Never let them know’, pertinent for someone who can never keep her mouth shut. There’s a lovely essay about her disillusionment with Bill Clinton and some fascinating insights into her life in New York City. Dip into this book and enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment